Georgia Council of Perioperative Registered Nurses Bylaws
Reviewed August 2019 – Approved
Article I – Name
The name of this professional organization is the Georgia Council of Perioperative Registered Nurses, hereinafter referred to as the “Georgia Council”.
Article II – Philosophy
The Georgia Council believes in a unified concept for AORN chapters and perioperative Registered Nurses. The Georgia Council exists to:
- Provide an assembly for consultation, networking, and camaraderie.
- Act as a resource for all Georgia AORN chapters and perioperative nurses.
- Promote communication pertinent to professional nursing issues.
- Work collaboratively with other organizations within Georgia.
Article III – Purpose
The purposes of the Georgia Council are to:
- Establish communication among AORN chapters in Georgia.
- Promote activities that foster the development of perioperative nurses in Georgia.
- Maintain an interactive relationship with National AORN.
- Monitor and disseminate information on local, state, and national legislative issues that impact perioperative nurses and healthcare.
- Work collaboratively with other professional organizations within the state as determined by the Council.
- Provide an annual seminar of interest to perioperative nurses.
- Serve as a resource organization providing support for perioperative nurses.
Article IV – Membership and Dues
Section 1. Membership is unrestricted by consideration of nationality, race, creed, life-style, color, sex, or age.
Section 2. Membership in the Georgia Council is contingent on compliance with requirements as specified in these bylaws.
Section 3. Membership: Categories of membership in this organization are AORN chapter members, representative members, and associate members.
A. AORN Chapter Members
- An AORN chapter member is a Georgia AORN chapter that wishes to participate.
- All AORN chapters in the state will be informed of activities of the GA Council in order to encourage chapter interest and participation
B. Representative Members
- An AORN chapter that has paid annual dues is entitled to two (2) representatives.
- Each chapter representative has one (1) vote.
- Only official representatives may vote.
- It will be the responsibility of the chapter President to notify the Georgia Council Secretary 30 days prior to voting who the voting members for the chapter will be.
- After the names have been submitted to the Secretary, the chapter president must submit a letter substituting a designee for any representative unable to attend. This designee then has voting privileges.
- It is the recommendation of the Georgia Council Board of Directors that the Representative Members be the chapter’s current President and President-Elect.
C. Associate Members
- An associate member is any AORN chapter member or member-at-large who wishes to participate and pays annual dues.
- Associate members may attend meetings, participate in discussions, but have no voting privileges.
- Associate members will receive mailings of Council business regardless of meeting attendance.
Section 4. Dues
- Annual membership dues are recommended by the Board of Directors and are subject to ratification by the membership.
- Dues will be paid annually by December 1st each year.
- Failure to pay chapter dues will result in a loss of voting privileges.
- Failure to pay associate member dues will result in removal of the member’s name from the Council roster.
Article V – Officers
The offices of this Council are: Chair, Chair-elect, Past Chair, Secretary, Treasurer, three (3) Board Members. These Officers make up the Board of Directors and will be entitled to one (1) vote.
- Chair: Serves as the official representative of the Georgia Council and presides at all meetings.
- Chair-Elect: Observes and assists the Chair in any duties and responsibilities of that official as requested by the Chair.
- Past-Chair: Assumes the duties of the Chair if Chair is unable to serve.
- Secretary: Maintains records of the proceedings of all business meetings and affairs of the Council and the Executive Committee.
- Treasurer: Monitors the fiscal affairs of the Council and provides reports and interpretation to the membership and the Board of Directors.
- Board Members: Consists of three (3) members. Along with the Officers, it has the power, authority and responsibility to manage the affairs of the Council, except to modify action of the voting members.
Article VI – Nominations, Eligibility, Election, Terms of Office
Section 1 Nominations
- The Nominating Committee will present a slate of candidates at the fall meeting. The Nominating Committee consists of the Chair, Past-chair, and Chair-elect.
- Nominations may be accepted from the floor provided that willingness to serve and eligibility has been verified.
Section 2 Eligibility
A nominee for the Board of Directors must meet one of the following three criteria:
- Served as a Chapter representative to the Council for one (1) year.
- Be an active member from another state council who moves into Georgia and has become an active associate member of our council.
- Be an active Chapter member for a minimum of one year who has consented to serve under a mentor who is currently on the Board.
A nominee for Chair-Elect will work closely with the Chair to be ready to assume their duties at the appropriate time. The nominee for Chair-Elect must meet the following criteria:
- Be an active member of Georgia Council for a minimum of one year.
- Previously served on the Board of Directors for their Georgia chapter, Georgia Council and/or AORN.
Section 3 Elections
- Elections will be held annually at the spring (Congress) meeting.
- Elections will be by written ballot.
- The secretary, or designee, will count the ballots and report to the chair.
- The candidate receiving the most votes will be declared the winner.
Section 4 Terms of Office
- Chair – one (1) year term.
- Chair-elect – one (1) year term.
- Past-chair – one (1) year term.
- Secretary – shall be elected in the even years for a term of two (2) years
- Treasurer – shall be elected in the odd years for a term of two (2) years
- Board Members – two shall be elected in the even years and one in the odd years for a two (2) year term.
- AORN National Legislative Committee State Coordinator – serves as appointed from national AORN.
Section 5: Vacancies
- Chair: The Past-Chair immediately assumes office.
- Chair-Elect: A vacancy in the office of the Chair is filled by a vote of the Board of Directors from a slate submitted by the Nominating Committee.
- Members of the Board of Directors fills all other vacancies.
- Any member filling a vacancy for an unexpired term for one (1) year or more is deemed to have served one (1) term.
Section 6: Removal
Any elected official, regardless of manner of election or appointment, may be removed by the voting members upon two-thirds (2/3) affirmative vote of the members present and voting; whenever in its judgment the best interests of the Council would be served thereby, provided the elected official upon request was offered an opportunity to have an unprejudiced hearing at which the elected official was permitted to defend against the termination.
Article VII – Meetings
A. The Council will meet two (2) times per year at the following times:
- Fall – to coincide with fall seminar
- Spring – to coincide with Congress
B. The Executive Committee will meet in late summer and winter, and as deemed necessary to conduct Council business.
C. Notice of meetings will be sent to chapter representatives and chapter presidents.
D. Roll call will be taken at the beginning of each meeting.
E. Special meetings may be called by the Chair or by a quorum of the membership.
F. Quorum: One half (1/2) of the Council representatives plus three (3) officers constitute a quorum for business meetings.
- Any registered nurse may attend a Council meeting without voting privileges.
- Officers, representatives, and associate members may invite other individuals to a meeting who have business with the Council.
Article VIII – Committees
- The committees of the Council are appointed annually by the Chair.
- The Ad Hoc Committee may be formed at the discretion of the Executive Board.
Article IX – Awards
Outstanding Perioperative Nurses:
Each chapter may nominate an Outstanding Perioperative Nurse annually. The treasurer receives each chapter recipient’s name by August. A gift will be granted to the award recipient at the Fall meeting to those chapters that are current in their dues.
Article X – Fiscal Year
The fiscal year of the Council is January 1through December 31. The annual spring meeting will be for outgoing and incoming chapter representatives.
Article XI – Parliamentary Authority
Robert’s Rules of Order, Newly Revised, is the parliamentary authority of this Council in all cases not covered in these guidelines.
Article XII – Amendments
A. Amendments to these Bylaws will be sent to all active members of Georgia Council for review via of electronic mail (e-mail).
B. Any discussion or changes to the amendments will be forwarded to the same active members via e-mail.
C. If no discussion or changes are received within 45 days of the original date they were sent, the Bylaws will be approved by acclamation.
Article XIII – Dissolution
If the Council should dissolve, all funds in the treasury will be given to the AORN Foundation or another appropriate educational endeavor determined by the membership majority.